Yu Li (李煜)
Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
The CUHK Shenzhen Research Institute (SZRI) (by courtesy)
Office: Rm 106, Ho Sin-Hang Engineering Building, CUHK
Email: liyuATcse.cuhk.edu.hk, liyu4017ATgmail.com
Opening: I am now looking for motivated (remote) summer intern students for Summer 2021 and Research Assistant (RA). If you are interested in and want to collaborate with me, feel free to contact me with your CV. For the previous successful cases, please refer to Mentoring. On the other hand, before contacting me, please carefully evaluate your motivation and your time. Most students would give up in one or two weeks for various reasons (courses, English tests, job hunting, etc.). In that case, it would waste your time and hurt your credit in the long term. Giving up is terrible for personal development and destroys your confidence. One of the reasons that I did not change my major when I was a first-year student in USTC is that I thought it's harmful to my personal development (mentally) if I gave up because of fear or uncertainty. Doing nothing is better than giving up later on.
Opening: I am now looking for motivated PhD/Mphil students, working on machine learning and healthcare, for 2021Fall. If you are interested, feel free to drop me an email. You are also encouraged to apply through our official website, either regular apply or HKPFS. You can know more about what the supervisor can provide here.
Yu joined the CSE department at CUHK in December 2020 as an assistant professor, leading the Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare (AIH) group.
He obtained Ph.D. in Computer Science from KAUST, under the supervision of Prof. Xin Gao, in October 2020 (KAUST news).
He got Master degree in Computer Science at KAUST in December 2016.
He got Bachelor degree (honored) in Biosciences from the BEI Shizhang Elite Class at USTC in 2015.
He was born on April 1st, 1995 in Fengyang, China.
I am working at the intersection between machine learning, healthcare and bioinformatics, developing new machine learning methods to resolve the computational problems in biology and healthcare, especially the structured learning problems.
My long-term goal is to improve the healthcare system, benefiting society directly by improving people's health and wellness.
[Major works in one slide]
[Ph.D. thesis, Defense slides]
[Job talk: bilibili, YouTube]
- --Jan 2021, HMD-ARG accepted by Microbiome (IF=11.607). Thanks to all the collaborators for their great work!
- --Dec 2020, invited to give a talk in Tencent.
- --Dec 2020, invited to give a talk in CUHK(SZ).
- [Past news]
Fall, 2018: Visiting student in Georgia Tech, Atlanta, USA
Advisor: Le Song
Summer, 2018: Visiting student in Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Advisor: Zhihua Zhou
Academic services [Full list]
- Reviewer for Nucleic Acids Research, Bioinformatics, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, et al.
- Serve as PC member periodically for ICLR, NeurIPS, AAAI, ECCV, et al.
- Commencement speaker candidate, the first Chinese candidate in the KAUST history, 2020, KAUST
- Certificate of Honor Rank (5% out of all graduates in 2015 at USTC), 2015, USTC
- National Scholarship, 2013