Yu Li (李煜)
Department of Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK)
The CUHK Shenzhen Research Institute (SZRI) (by courtesy)
Office: Room 106, Ho Sin-Hang Engineering Building, CUHK
Email: liyuATcse.cuhk.edu.hk, liyu4017ATgmail.com
[Research summary in one slide]
Opening: I am now looking for motivated (remote) summer intern students and Research Assistant (RA) for Summer 2022. If you are interested in and want to collaborate with me, feel free to contact me with your CV. For the previous successful cases, please refer to Mentoring. On the other hand, before contacting me, please carefully evaluate your motivation and your time. Most students would give up in one or two weeks.
In that case, it would waste your time and hurt your credit in the long term. Giving up is terrible for personal development and destroys your confidence.
Opening: I am now looking for motivated PhD/Mphil students, working on machine learning and healthcare, for 2023Fall. If you are interested, feel free to drop me an email with your CV. You are also encouraged to apply through our official website, either regular apply or HKPFS. You can know more about what the supervisor can provide here.
- Summer 2022, visit Prof. James Collins group at MIT as a Visiting Assistant Professor, Wyss Institute at Harvard as a Visiting Scholar, and Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard as an Associated Scientist.
- Jan 2022, two undergraduate students, Tingyang Yu and Jiuming Wang, get the Professor Charles K. Kao Research Exchange Scholarship-2022 Summer, which is highly prestigious and competitive. Congratulations to them!
- Dec 2021, CLMB is accepted by RECOMB-22. Congratulations, Pengfei, Zhengyuan, and Yixuan! Pengfei did the project as his Bachelor Thesis under my supervision. Glad to see it accepted by the RECOMB, which would only let in around 45 oral presentations every year. See you in San Diego in May 2022!
- Nov 2021, our survey on the protein-RNA interaction prediction with deep learning methods is accepted by Briefing in Bioinformatics (IF=11.620). Congratulations, Junkang, Siyuan, and Licheng!
Yu joined the CSE department at CUHK in December 2020 as an assistant professor, leading the Artificial Intelligence in Healthcare (AIH) group.
He obtained Ph.D. in Computer Science from KAUST, under the supervision of Prof. Xin Gao, in October 2020 (KAUST news).
He got Master degree in Computer Science at KAUST in December 2016.
He got Bachelor degree (honored) in Biosciences from the BEI Shizhang Elite Class at USTC in 2015.
He was born on April 1st, 1995 in Fengyang, China.
I am working at the intersection between machine learning, healthcare and bioinformatics, developing new machine learning methods to resolve the computational problems in biology and healthcare, especially the structured learning problems.
My long-term goal is to improve the healthcare system, benefiting society directly by improving people's health and wellness.
[Research summary in one slide]
[Ph.D. thesis, Defense slides]
[Job talk: bilibili, YouTube]
Fall, 2018: Visiting student in Georgia Tech, Atlanta, USA
Advisor: Le Song
Summer, 2018: Visiting student in Nanjing University, Nanjing, China
Advisor: Zhihua Zhou
Academic services [Full list]
- Reviewer for Nucleic Acids Research, Bioinformatics, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks and Learning Systems, et al.
- Serve as PC member periodically for ICLR, NeurIPS, AAAI, ECCV, et al.
- Commencement speaker candidate, the first Chinese candidate in the KAUST history, 2020, KAUST
- Certificate of Honor Rank (5% out of all graduates in 2015 at USTC), 2015, USTC
- National Scholarship, 2013